Seacourt marched into the semis of the Brodie Cup with a convincing 4 – 1 away victory over last year’s champions, Leamington.

Jess Garside and Simon Flynn were up first and met strong resistance from a clearly well-grooved team and were duly defeated 2 & 4. Josh McMurrugh and Huw Thomas however demonstrated the heart and potency of our team and romped to victory conceding just 1 game in in doing so. Neale Turner led out our singles proponents showing a clear way, disposing of his opponent 2 & 2 with his usual mixture of elegant shots. At 2 – 1 up a win for our Nigel Ireson could seal the tie, and it looked immediately likely with him taking the first set to 0. However, his opponent rallied to win the 2nd to 5 and our team and supporters were looking mightily concerned at 2 all in the final set. Showing Captain’s colours though, Nigel gutsed out the victory winning the final set from there and thus the tie. With the pressure off (but likely with the same result either way!) William rubbed salt in Leamington wounds, crushing his opponent 0 & 0 in what has become a typically uncharitable fashion.

Next stop Semi Finals on the 29th January away (again!) to Oxford.

Pol Roger vs. Petworth
On the same day, our Spencer Davies-led Pol Roger team didn’t (quite) march on… agonising match points came and went in our 2 – 3 loss.

A good start was made in the 2nd Doubles, with Spencer Davies & Tom Weaver hanging tough through their testing moments to win in straight sets, and Luke Danby never allowed his quality opponent (Charlie Braham) a moment to settle or any respite, winning 6/3 6/2. Going into the match we knew Petworth’s 2nd & 3rd Singles would be strong but Andrew Jameson did his darnedest to pull off an upset win over Adam Dolman, narrowly failing, before & Mark Drysdale eased past Alex Garside.

So – down to the last match it went albeit with an air of optimism in experienced campaigners Paul Weaver & Hugh Latham. Opponents Andrew Page & Steve Calder-Smith looked erratic if with occasional flashes of brilliance and all seemed according to plan as Hugh & Paul comfortably pocketed the 1st set. From there a great match unfolded with Petworth ironing out there errors and winning the 2nd by right. Our 3/0 lead in the final set gave way to 3/3, before 5/4 and THOSE match points that just weren’t quite taken, before the devastating inevitability occurred. Petworth were literally behind on the scoreboard all day until the last game.

This team’s next round is also on 29th January, against Royal Tennis Court (Hampton Court) at Home. Please come along and support us, as we play to stay in the Pol Roger or face demotion to the Field Trophy!